Monday, June 8, 2009

The Hour I First Believed....

June 7th was a SPECIAL day in the life of our family!! Last night, at a performance by Ballet Magnificat at our church, Avery asked Jesus to come into her heart. She sat in my lap throughout the show, and I explained to her what was going on in the story. She asked tons of questions. She was really concerned that Rahab was so sad because she didn't have Jesus in her heart. At the end, when Rahab became a believer, she realized that Jesus was what made Rahab truly happy. There were tons more questions throughout the show about where the missionaries went when they died and why they were dressed in white, and why were people not allowed to love Jesus in Russia. (The show was a modern version of the Rahab story from the Bible and was set in Communist Russia.) At the end, one of the men gave an alter call. It's funny, I could tell from the questions she was asking me all along that this had stuck a chord in her little heart and that the Holy Spirit was up to something, so I prayed right then for God to work in heart however He pleased. Then, this was the conversation...
A: Mom, what are they doing now?
M: They are letting people who want to pray come down and pray with them.
A: About what?
M: People can pray to ask Jesus into their heart, or pray for some kind of problem they are having, or just go tell them what Jesus is doing in their heart.
A: I wanna go! (gets up and starts walking...)
M: Wait, baby. Why do you want to go?
A: Because I wanna ask Jesus into my heart! (Of course I am already crying at this point)
So Bryan and I walked our baby down the isle, and Bryan led her in a prayer to receive Christ as her Savior. What a joyous day that we have prayed for since before Avery was even born!

Avery, Daddy and I are so proud of you. Our prayer is that you will always be able to look back on this night as the hour you first believed. You accepted Jesus with as much faith as a 5 year old can muster, and we know that you love Jesus more than anything in the world. I've never seen a child want to go to heaven and be with God so badly! I am thankful that you are His child, and I pray that as you grow older, He will reveal more and more of Himself to you. What a glorious day, when my child's name was written in the Book of Life!

5 comments:

HappyascanB said...

Praise God! What a beautiful story! I'm so excited for Avery, and I, too, pray that she will always remember such a precious night that was the hour she first believed. God is so good!

Elizabeth said...

Julie, I found your blog via your comment on Tessa's blog. I have to tell you that Sarah Hobbs and I were watching your sweet moment last night with tears in our eyes. I am so glad to have gotten to read about the whole moment....how sweet and wonderful! I will say a prayer for sweet Avery as she begins a beautiful journey! :)
Love, Elizabeth Parish

Still Waters said...

Julie,
This touched my heart so much. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes. As a parent, this is what we pray for the most. I am glad you and Bryan were able to experience this with Avery. It's a point in her life she (nor you)will never forget!

Unknown said...

I totally have tears in my eyes right now. What a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing it.

HJW said...

ok...tears in my eyes - one even escaped to my cheek. To God be the Glory.