Friday, August 1, 2008

Sit Back and Smell the Powder

OK, I don't really intend on always "back-blogging" events of the past, but this is just one of those stories that will be etched in my mind for the rest of my life! It happened last November. I was in the living room with Asa, Granddad, and Nonna. Avery and Brynn were playing nicely together in Asa's room with the door shut. I was talking to the grandparents about how I was trying to loosen up a little and not hover over the kids all the time to keep them from getting into trouble. A very good friend of mine had said, "I mean, how much trouble can they get in?" (My kids? Plenty!) No sooner had the words come out of my mouth, when I noticed a strange silence. I said, "I better go see what they're up to." When I opened the door to the room, I nearly choked on the clouds of dust that billowed out! Brynn was standing there, covered head to toe in baby powder, and all I could really see were those big blue eyes. It was one of those moments when I thought, "Do I kill them or just laugh?" Avery stood nearby, powder in hand, looking very guilty and somewhat proud of herself! I said, "Girl, you are in BIG trouble.....after I get my camera. Wait there and don't move!!" I captured some great pictures of them and then put them straight in the bathtub. Asa couldn't sleep in his room for 2 days!! I still laugh when I think about it. I guess being a parent is full of moments like this - when your emotions tell you to explode, but something deeper says, "Just LAUGH! One day, (and it will come sooner than I can imagine), they won't be making messes like this anymore." So, for this time at least, I will just sit back and smell the baby powder!




2 comments:

Lanier Kelley said...

So glad this made the blog! It's one of those stories that just cracks me up. I just wish I'd been there to witness it...so glad you laughed and got your camera!

The Preston Family said...

This is so cute!!!! Loving the new haircolor for Brynn!