Monday, December 21, 2009

Celebrating at School

Every year, at Tattnall, my SOOOO TALENTED mom writes up an unbelievable program for Kids Yule Love. This year was particularly special because Avery was there to be a part of it. The K5 traditionally sings several carols during the program, dressed up in their handmade reindeer antlers. They always get a ton of laughs as they sing and dramatize the 12 Days of Christmas. Avery was ALL into it! At one point during the program, Santa makes an appearance and passes out gag gifts to some lucky students. The younger students go absolutely WILD when he arrives in his sleigh, pulled by 8 reindeer, and of course Rudolph out front. Avery was right there to shake his hand as he made his way down to the floor. Mom dresses up like Mrs. Claus and reads the script. You almost can't recognize her! At the end of the program, the faculty children/grandchildren get to be a part of the Nativity Story. Avery was an angel and did her part beautifully. Kids Yule Love has been a special part of Tattnall for years - I remember participating when I was there. It is such a sweet reminder of what a joy it is to GIVE to others. I am so proud of all that my mom does to make this one of Tattnall's greatest events all year!



At Ingleside, I was one of the mamas in charge of the "Happy Birthday Jesus" Party for Brynn's class. I used the same cake as I did for Avery's party last year, which was a huge hit. Before eating it, we talked about the colors of Christmas (red and green cake inside) and the meaning of the star and the holly. Then each child was given a candle to put around the Jesus candle in the middle, showing how our lives are centered around Christ and how His Light helps us be lights in our world. We sang Happy Birthday and the kids blew them out. It was cute. I got the idea from a FANTASTIC book called The ADVENTure of Christmas by Lisa Welchel. It talks about the truths and meanings behind so many of our Christmas traditions. It's a great resource for moms!


Asa's class had a party the same day, but unfortunately, I couldn't clone myself! I am so thankful that all 3 of the kids are able to celebrate Jesus at their schools. It was a blessing to me to see all of the wonderful crafts they made and hear them talk about all they were learning about the true meaning of Christmas.

No comments: